Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Same-Sex Marriage Failing in California?

Of the many ballot initiatives up across the country, one that's being very closely followed is in California where the courts recently overturned their laws defining marriage as between a man and a woman. SurveyUSA polled this ballot initiative recently and found that it will succeed in passing, i.e. same-sex marriage would be banned in the California state Constitution.

What's incredibly shocking to me...is the breakdown of the poll. Who's voting for the initiative and opposing same-sex marriage? 53% for to 39% against in the 18 to 35 year old age bracket. 53% of the youngest bracket they've polled supported a Constitutional amendment defining marriage as between a man and a woman instead of allowing it between any two people. Between 35 and 64 are the most accepting, with the 50 to 64 audience being the most supportive with 49% opposing this initiative.

People in my age group I never expected to be the most closed minded group. I expected it from the 65+ crowd. I actually expected it more from the 50+ crowd, but not from the 18 to 35 age bracket. I'm actually a little disappointed. I expected more opposition from the younger crowd. I was still under the impression that the younger crowd swung between liberal and libertarian on average, which would still be in opposition to this measure. Instead, we're seeing social conservatism that I didn't expect to see from younger voters. I am unsure what this means in a broader sense, but it's just an oddity that I was not expecting.

For the record, if I was in California, I'd vote against the measure.

No comments: