Monday, November 3, 2008

Richard Matthews Press Release

Richard Matthews released the following today seeking your vote in Maryland's 2nd District.

In December of 2007 I decided to contest in the Second District of Maryland not knowing what the path forward would bring, but confident that along the way I would find a positive outcome as long as I stuck to the principles that have made this country great. This was never about ambition or self promotion, but rather as a duty to my country to fight for the causes that are right and good, as described and defended in the Constitution. I have summed this up in my campaign slogan of Liberty, Peace and Prosperity.

Liberty is about being free to do whatever it is that one pleases so long as it does not infringe on one's neighbor's right to do the same. It is about being free from inspection of personal records and communication by one's government without probable cause of a crime. It is about being an American, and proud of it. The Patriot Act is an abomination that our founding fathers would have never stood for and needs to be repealed. The incumbent in this district voted with Bush to make this permanent.

Peace is about maintaining a strong defense of American territory and borders, while rejecting the adventurism of nation building. Future enemies are only created by meddling in the internal affairs of other nations. America is best served, and in this time of economic turmoil can only pay for, coming home from Iraq, reevaluating the hunt for Bin Laden (not doubling down), and by asking our allies to take a more active role in their own defense. The incumbent in this district voted with Bush to continue our presence in Iraq after we have achieved so much.

Prosperity can be returned to if we follow free market principles. Bailouts, loaned on the good name of taxpayers, should never go to those who took the wrong side of a risky bet. Congress, representing their constituents, have a much greater interest in properly pursing a low-inflation policy, but have less oversight of the system than they have over our most sensitive intelligence agencies. Also ripe for reform is our income tax system, which should start systemic simplification procedure first with our veterans military pay. The incumbent in this district can be expected to vote for the liberal agenda, raising taxes across the board.

Folks, I am an open book. I have posted how I would vote for every bill before congress in near real time on this campaign website. If elected, I will post on my congressional website, within 24 hours, not only my votes but also an explanation for why I voted as I did. As I tell constituents when campaigning, I’m a regular guy, I have a job in the regular economy, I pay a mortgage, I'm proud to be a dad, and I love my wife. I simply disagree with my congressman on his voting record, and I am running for Congress to throw these career incumbents out. My name is Richard Matthews, and I hope to earn your vote on Tuesday.
Matthews is a solid candidate for Congress who ran because he saw an opening and thought he could make a difference. He's not a career politician and he's outside of the establishment. Read my interview with his Director of Operations, check out his website on the sidebar, and make up your own mind. But, I still say that if you want a different kind of Congressman in office, vote for Richard Matthews.

No comments: